Saturday 29 March 2014

[Lets Play] I Spy Jar



With the school holidays coming (I know!) I'm hoping to get a few posts up of quick activities of things to do at home over the holidays. School holidays can be expensive if you want to entertain the littles everyday, so here is a quick, easy AND CHEAP activity that can be done at home with stuff from in and around the home.

Here is what you need;

  • A jar/container/zip lock bag
  • An assortment of items that are a range of colours and sizes. 
  • Rice or something equivalent... I just used what I had in the pantry


Hot tip... Take a photo of your items before putting them in the jar so your little one knows what to look for.

I then put the photo through photo shop and wrote in the Victorian hand writing font each of the items. R has taken a keen interest in writing and recognising letters recently, so I am utilising every opportunity to extend on that even if its just to demonstrate/name items in a picture. 

Here is what ours looked like.


If you do not have access to photo shop or the equivalent
then writing on the photo with a marker will do the exact same thing.


I put all the things in the jar and sealed up with some tape to seal it and washi tape which was just to make it a little more attractive really.

Then we played... half an hour... HALF AND HOUR later... we had found all the items over and over and over again... we then turned it into a game and chose two or three items for the other to find.

R has gone back to it several times over the last week.
I am also thinking of making a smaller one for our restaurant bag and when they become a bit old or he becomes a bit disinterested in it I will undo it and replace the items inside and start again. 












Your comments are not only awesome! They are inspiring!
Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Love this Tara. I've got it pinned away for when Big is a little, well, bigger! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may be old enough now, but that is entirely up to you of course. R adores it and even F has a look inside when he steals a chance (if R has left it on the floor). Let me know when you do get around to it. x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia! Two weeks later and he is still loving it! x

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS
01 09 10